The importance of UI Design in the success of your digital product (2023)
UI Design: If you visit a website or online store for the first time and you are surprised by its uneven appearance, substandard elements, and complex interface. Will you continue to browse or will you consider buying from him? Not, but you will leave him instantly and never come back. However, if it has a beautiful and distinctive UI design, you will be attracted to its content and interact with it frequently, and you will not close it often until you finish a certain action.
What exactly is UI design?
The process of designing a visual layout for the interface of software and websites, including creating a set of elements with which the user interacts, such as buttons, colors, icons, icons, and navigation menus, is referred to as user interface design. They often focus on the look and feel of a design, making it easier to use, more attractive, and fun to try. As a result, user interface design is crucial to the success of your digital product.
What is the difference between user experience design and user interface design?
UX design is concerned with everything related to how a person feels, feels, and perceives when trying to use a particular system or application. It cares about the user’s preferences as well as their physical and psychological reactions, to develop easy-to-use systems for all groups and search for what works best for them. A user interface is an aesthetically pleasing image that appears to users, enables them to interact with the system, and allows them to access a website or application.
For example, if you have an online program with a great interface, attractive appearance, and colors that complement your branding, you have a solid user interface design. UX refers to the speed with which their pages load, simple conversion button access, and ease of making purchases.
Why should you care about UI design?
When writing a book, you must design a beautiful cover, and while covering a product, you must choose the best images to decorate it. Why? Since human minds are attracted to attractive appearances and choose the best, this applies to various programs, websites, and operating systems. There are many advantages to designing user interfaces professionally, the most prominent of which are:
1- Create a good first impression
The first thing your customers see when they visit your website or use an online application is your user interface design. When it is original and unique, it makes a good impression on the audience and attracts more visitors, increases brand recognition, and gains new consumers, which influences the growth of your business.
2- Building customer confidence
Professionally designed user interfaces increase customer confidence and loyalty to your site, as well as develop their relationship with your business, by creating an ideal user experience that appeals to them and makes surfing the Internet more enjoyable. Customers will go to you immediately if you have an effective online store, and they will become permanent and loyal consumers, but if it is bad and random, you will lose a lot of them.
3- Reducing expenses
A well-planned user interface design eliminates many technical and technical issues that may arise in the future, which reduces programming and development costs. It also reduces the cost of customer assistance by making it easier for customers to use the product without calling for technical assistance.
4- Increase sales and revenue
Create an attractive and distinctive user interface that improves the shopping process, encourages customers to stay on your site or app for as long as possible, and encourages them to complete transactions smoothly, ensuring an improved conversion rate, sales growth, and revenue.
user interface types
There are three types of user interfaces:
GUI means graphical user interface.
Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) are interfaces that allow users to interact with information and accomplish tasks by clicking on graphic components such as pictures, icons, and icons. It is distinguished by its ease of use, as it includes clear and understandable forms. For example, a design might feature a recycle bin icon to indicate deletion, and files could be duplicated by dragging and dropping.
CLI stands for Command Line Interface.
The command line interface appeared before the graphical user interfaces, and it was called so because it relies on writing text commands and entering them using the keyboard instead of the mouse so that the result appears in text form as well, and the most prominent example is the MS-DOS operating system.
These interfaces have revolutionized the world of technology, especially because they allow a person to interact with computers, mobile devices, or any other device via voice, eliminating the need for keyboards and touch screens.d allowing a person to address devices only with his voice, such as Google Assistant, Siri, and Microsoft Cortana systems.
Fundamentals of user interface design
When designing user interfaces, designers must consider a few basics. To improve the odds of design success on the one hand and ease of programming on the other hand, namely:
- Ease of navigation: While developing the user interface, keep in mind the ease of navigation between the interfaces of the program or system, and avoid distracting the consumer, especially if the site or application is huge and complex. The current location of the app, where you want to go, and which button to press should be obvious to the user.
- Consider the undo option: It is necessary to provide an option to go back, to allow the user to undo an action that was performed by mistake or perhaps for investigation, and this gives him a sense of confidence when navigating between the pages and interfaces of the program.
- Keep in mind clarity of progress status: Good UI design takes into account the amount and type of progress the user has made. This gives him a sense of accomplishment and an understanding of the next actions to take.
- User interface control: One of the most important fundamentals is user interface control. Since it allows the consumer to change the background, colors, and font size, they don’t feel restricted in using it.
- Taking into account individual differences: The interface of the program makes it easy to deal with people of different ages and groups.
Most widely used user interface design software
- Adobe XD: Adobe’s easy-to-use integrated user interface design tool that adds animation to graphics.
- The sketch is a vector-based graphics editing application that allows you to create prototypes and final design modifications.
- Marvel: A comprehensive design and development tool for digital products, as well as user experience and user interface design.
- INfision Studio: A professional tool for drawing, creating, modeling, modifying, and optimizing the perfect models.
- Photoshop: It fully supports the design process, is used to modify and edit images, and helps create professional user interfaces.
- UXPin: is a one-stop interactive prototyping tool with hundreds of ready-made design components.
What capabilities does a UI designer have?
- The user interface designer must have a wide range of artistic and technical skills, including mastery of user interface design tools, and graphic design, knowledge of the basics of user experience, and familiarity with the basics of design and its various elements, especially those related to color psychology, font styles, spacing, etc.
- Interpersonal skills: The user interface designer must have interpersonal skills such as good communication, the ability to understand the visual identity of the company and the target audience, quick wit and problem-solving, as well as planning, teamwork, and organizing ideas.
7 Best Online Project Management Tools
What are the stages of user interface development?
The user interface creation process includes several stages, the most important of which are:
1- Determine the design purpose and specifications.
The first stage in user interface design is defining the design goal and requirements. A user interface cannot be built without knowing its primary purpose, understanding the problem the design addresses, and what it presents to people. As a result, it is necessary to create a list that includes the needs of users from the site whose interface is to be designed and define all the requirements and functions that it performs to serve customers, and then identify the design elements that achieve the goal of these requirements in addition to determining the performance indicators to measure the success of the design later.
2- Market research and competitors
Researching the target market is an important pillar for the success of any project, as it requires conducting the necessary research to analyze competitors and visit their websites and electronic applications. To examine it and identify its strengths and weaknesses. It is crucial to research the target audience and conduct in-depth interviews with a sample of clients to determine system requirements and user interface design preferences.
3- Develop a design organizational chart.
After doing your market research, you should have a good idea of the user interface you want for your website. As a result, you must determine the number of pages on the site and understand their duties. To get started, create a comprehensive diagram that describes the steps of the system, including site pages, interfaces, and key parts.
The layout of each page should be clarified at this point, with a hierarchical and visual representation of the screens, highlighting all features and defining the relationship of the pages to each other. There is no reason not to draw the design on paper or use assistive technology tools.
4- Build a UI design template.
It’s time to start creating your user interface, and you’ll start with the visuals like images, static and animated graphics, colors, input elements, fonts, icons, and so on. The UI designer then applies these aspects to the structure of each page and builds on research to create a unique user interface.
Since the designer relies on appropriate design tools to create perfect user interfaces, it is better to use one of the user interface design services provided by professional user interface designers through the Fiverr platform, the largest marketplace for buying and selling microservices, in exchange for a professional user interface design, and to achieve a unique and enjoyable experience
5- Design evaluation
After the design phase is completed, it must be tested, tested, validated and its effectiveness measured. Be sure to work with a user experience design specialist. Ensure that the interface is clear and provides a simple and engaging experience, with any significant upgrades or design changes being made as needed.
How much does user interface design cost?
The cost of UI design varies in various aspects, including:
- Design specifications: The cost of UI design varies depending on the client’s requirements, the number of pages and interfaces to be designed, and the activities that need to be completed.
- Design complexities: A complex UI design with many features and multiple commands will be more expensive than a simple design.
- Designer Experience: The expertise and experience of a UI designer are important factors in determining the price of a service. When a designer is very skilled, he can produce a great user interface and thus requires a larger budget.
- Speed of completion: If you need UI design soon, you will pay higher fees for the service, especially if you are dealing with an experienced supplier.
9 excellent user interface design recommendations
There are numerous guidelines and practices to consider while creating a professional and distinct user interface design that is consistent with your brand, such as:
- Excellent planning: Strive to gather everything you need in one spot, which means gathering fonts, icons, colors, and images in one location to act as an integrated library for your reference.
- Consideration for responsive design: It is recommended that the user interface design be compatible with a variety of devices, including smartphones so that the user can adjust the size of visual elements and interfaces to match the size of the screen they own.
- The contrast in color: Color contrast hurts both the design of the user interface and the user experience. When the contrast is low, it is difficult to perceive the interface’s content, and when it is high, it irritates the eyes and distracts the client.
- Simple access: Make sure you divide the phone screen into three sections: an easy-to-reach area near the user’s finger, an accessible area in the middle of the phone screen, and a difficult-to-reach area towards the top. Make use of this when organizing crucial buttons and icons.
- White areas: Increase the amount of white space in the user interface design to attract the audience and boost their sense of comfort and enjoyment of a pleasant browsing experience.
- Font quality: Fonts should be properly studied, their types known, and the suitable ones utilized, so that they can be read well in the user interface design. It is better to utilize a single font family with varying weights.
- Consistency in Design: Maintain consistency in the design and avoid long scrolling in interfaces so that the user does not become bored before achieving his goal.
- The proximity of elements: If you are looking for an optimal user experience, design elements, and icons should be rounded, avoiding scattering and spacing. Simplicity and clarity: The design should be simple and make it clear to the customer where they stand now, and what they should do in the next step.
Finally, it is undeniable that UI design is crucial to the success of any digital product nowadays, and it is worthwhile to invest in order to reach your marketing objectives. As establishing a website or program without considering the user interface; as someone who begins building a house without planning and is almost certain to fail.